Free printable cootie catcher template that you can type on. Instant download with no registration required.
A cootie catcher, also known as a fortune teller or origami chatterbox, is a fun paper game often used for entertainment and decision-making. You can write various messages or predictions inside the cootie catcher’s flaps to create an interactive and enjoyable experience.
Tic-tac-toe, tag, rock paper scissors, cootie catcher; these games are a whole lot of fun to play. I’m pretty sure you have fond memories from your childhood that at times keep you reminiscing, and maybe you still play these games today. Or, if you’re still young, I know you at least find the time to play amidst the tumult of internet technology and smartphones. If not, then you should. Among these games, the cootie catcher game is one of the oldest, dating back to the 17th century. People first played it in Europe before propagating it to the United States and other continents. Anyway, enough with the history. How exactly do you make a cootie catcher and a fortune teller, and how do you play it?
How to Make a Cootie Catcher
The cootie catcher is a simple model made from paper, with a simple technique. Well, not hardcore skills but a few basics of chronological folds, and you’re good! You can either make it from scratch with a blank piece of paper or you can use our free printable and editable cootie catcher template printables.
Here are the steps to follow to start from scratch. If you use the printable template then you can still follow the instructions on how to fold a cootie catcher.
• A pair of scissors,
• A perfectly square or rectangular piece of paper,
• Crayons or colored pencils and,
• A whole lot of fortune teller ideas!
Cootie Catcher Instructions
Step 1: Get a smooth, clean piece of paper that’s perfectly square. Lay it flat on a table, floor, or any flat surface. If it’s rectangular, place it on a table, hold any corner and fold it while aligning the edge with another. Make sure it forms a triangular shape.
Step 2: Cut out the excess paper falling out of the triangular shape so that you remain with a perfect square after unfolding it.
Step 3: After unfolding the paper, you’ll notice a creasing line cutting diagonally. Take one opposite corner and fold the paper to form another creasing line, such that it results in an X shape.
Step 4: Take each of the four corners and fold them towards the center of the square. Ensure their tips touch the point where the two creases cross.
Step 5: Flip the paper over and repeat the previous step with all the corners. Ensure the tips touch the center where the two creases cross.
Step 6: Grab one side of the paper and fold it in half. Repeat this with the opposite side.
Step 7: With both hands, insert your thumbs in pointing fingers inside the four pockets, such that you can pinch and pull the model. And there you have it, your cootie catcher!
Cootie Catcher Template
With our free printable cootie catcher template, you don’t have to bother writing anything. You can edit all text before you print (depending on the format you choose). The cootie catcher printable is available in 4 different formats: Powerpoint, Word, PDF, or as an image. Select the format that you find easiest to work with.
What to Write in a Cootie Catcher
Here are some ideas for what to write in a cootie catcher:
Fortunes and Predictions:
Write positive or funny fortunes or predictions that the player can reveal when they choose a flap. For example:
- “You will have a great day today!”
- “A surprise awaits you around the corner.”
- “You’ll make a new friend soon.”
- “Good news is on the horizon. Keep an eye out for it!”
- “You will receive a surprise gift soon.”
- “A new opportunity will come your way.”
- “You’ll meet someone who will make you smile today.”
- “Adventure is calling your name; be ready to answer!”
- “Your hard work will pay off in the near future.”
- “Love and happiness are in your future.”
- “You’ll find the answer you’ve been seeking.”
- “Travel is in your future. Start planning your next trip!”
- “Your creativity will shine brightly today.”
- “A new friendship will blossom.”
- “Trust your instincts; they will guide you well.”
- “Success is just around the corner.”
- “A pleasant surprise will brighten your day.”
- “Stay positive, and good things will come your way.”
- “Your dreams are within reach; keep pursuing them.”
- “An old friend will reconnect with you soon.”
- “You are surrounded by love and support.”
- “Today is your lucky day; take a chance.”
- “Embrace change; it will lead to growth.”
Truth or Dare
Create a truth or dare cootie catcher by writing truth questions and dares inside the flaps. Players can choose a flap and then be prompted with either a truth question or a dare. For example:
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
- Have you ever had a crush on someone in this room?
- What’s the silliest fear you have?
- Share your most awkward date experience.
- If you could switch lives with someone for a day, who would it be?
- What’s the strangest food combination you enjoy?
- Have you ever told a secret you promised to keep?
- Describe your most embarrassing moment in public.
- What’s your guilty pleasure song that you love but are embarrassed to admit?
- What’s the most daring thing you’ve ever done?
- Sing a song in a funny accent.
- Do your best impression of a celebrity.
- Call a random contact from your phone and sing “Happy Birthday” to them.
- Wear socks on your hands for the next three rounds.
- Dance like nobody’s watching for 30 seconds.
- Send a text to your crush or a friend saying, “I love pickles!”
- Speak in rhyme for the next two rounds.
- Try to lick your elbow (even though it’s impossible).
- Let someone draw a mustache on your face with washable markers.
- Tell a joke, and if no one laughs, you have to do another dare.
Questions for Fun Conversations:
Use the cootie catcher to spark fun conversations. Write questions inside the flaps that players can ask each other. For example:
- “If you could time travel, where and when would you go?”
- “What’s your favorite dessert, and why?”
Make the cootie catcher a decision-making tool by writing options inside the flaps. Players can use it to help them decide between choices. For example:
- “Pizza or burgers for dinner?”
- “Watch a movie or play a board game tonight?”
Compliments and Affirmations:
Fill the cootie catcher with compliments and positive affirmations to boost the player’s mood. For example:
- “You are amazing just the way you are.”
- “You bring joy to those around you.”
Random Fun Facts:
Share interesting and quirky facts inside the flaps. Players can learn something new with each pick. For example:
- “A group of flamingos is called a ‘flamboyance.'”
- “Honey never spoils; archaeologists have found edible honey in ancient Egyptian tombs.”
Jokes and Riddles:
Write jokes or riddles to entertain the players. For example:
- Why did the scarecrow become a successful politician? Because he was outstanding in his field!
- How do you organize a space party? You “planet”!
- Why did the bicycle fall over? Because it was two-tired!
- What do you call a bear with no teeth? A gummy bear!
- What’s orange and sounds like a parrot? A carrot!
- Why did the tomato turn red? Because it saw the salad dressing!
- What did one wall say to the other wall? “I’ll meet you at the corner!”
- Why did the math book look sad? Because it had too many problems.
- How do you make a tissue dance? You put a little boogie in it!
- What do you call a fish with no eyes? Fsh!
- I’m tall when I’m young and short when I’m old. What am I? Answer: A candle.
- I have keys but can’t open locks. What am I? Answer: A piano.
- What comes once in a minute, twice in a moment, but never in a thousand years? Answer: The letter “M.”
- I’m full of holes, but I can still hold water. What am I? Answer: A sponge.
- The more you take, the more you leave behind. What am I? Answer: Footsteps.
- I have keys but can’t open any locks. What am I? Answer: A computer keyboard.
- What has keys but can’t open locks and can sing? What am I? Answer: A piano.
- I’m not alive, but I can grow; I don’t have lungs, but I need air; I don’t have a mouth, but water kills me. What am I? Answer: A fire.
- You see a boat filled with people. It has not sunk, but when you look again, you don’t see a single person on the boat. Why? Answer: All the people on the boat are married, so you don’t see any “single” person.
- I’m not alive, but I can die. What am I? Answer: A battery.
Remember to personalize your cootie catcher based on the occasion or the people you’re playing it with. You can get creative and have fun coming up with your own messages and prompts to make the game enjoyable and engaging.
How to Make an Origami Fortune Teller
Once you have a blank cootie catcher game you might want to turn it into a paper fortune teller.
I. On the cootie catcher’s outside, write four numbers; alternate odd with even numbers. Conversely, on the inside, write eight different colors using different crayon colors.
II. For example, you can write the word blue with a blue crayon or the word red with a red crayon.
III. Underneath, write the fortunes or challenges. Not sure what to write on a cootie catcher? See the cootie catcher fortune ideas below.
Origami Fortune Teller Ideas
• Good news will come to you soon.
• The gods will bless you.
• Welcome change.
• Someone loves you.
• You will buy a car.
• You will go to Paris.
• You will triumph.
• The exams will be straightforward for you.
• You will be an amazing dad.
You can include any of the paper fortune teller ideas above or you can make up your own.
How to Play the Origami Fortune Teller
Once you have created your printable fortune teller game, you need someone to play with. You can play this game with anyone of any age such as your sibling, a friend, or a grandparent. Start by putting your index fingers and thumbs in the fortune teller’s four pockets. Ask the person to pick a number.
If, for instance, they pick a six, alternate pulling and pinching six times. Suppose they choose a four, and repeat by pinching and pulling four times.
Afterward, they’ll land a color. Spell out that color while simultaneously pulling and pinching.
Finally, ask them to pick another color and open the fortune teller to reveal what fortune awaits them!