A timesheet template summarizes hours worked by each employee during a pay period. It can also record the time that employees arrive at work and leave work to determine the amount of time spent at work or on each job.
We offer a large selection of free printable timesheets. Select a template with a time sheet format that best suits your needs.
We offer our free printable timesheets in four versions: Word, editable PDF, image, and Excel spreadsheet. You can use a printed timesheet, a digital timesheet (an online form), or a spreadsheet. The advantage of a spreadsheet is that it can calculate totals automatically. It can also divide total hours into regular hours and overtime and then calculate the number of hours by the hourly rate to get the total sum that should be paid to each employee.
Printable Time Sheets
There are three kinds of timesheet templates on this site. Some templates only show the total hours worked each day or on each project. Others show the time each employee clocked in and out each day. There are different versions for those who don’t have breaks and others with one break or two breaks. We also offer timesheets that distinguish between time worked on different projects or tasks. Select the template that best meets your needs and edit it if necessary. For example, many of the templates have a section for the employee’s signature and the manager or supervisor’s signature. If that is something you don’t want to include, then simply delete it.
Time Sheets with Total Hours Worked
This is a simple timesheet template that tracks the time in and out and the total hours worked each day of the week.
The daily timesheet template lists every day of the week from Monday to Sunday. You can edit the days if you want to start from Sunday or delete some days if necessary.
This timesheet records the time in and time out each day. You can add more timesheet details by adding additional columns.
Fields: day, date, project or task, time in, time out, regular hours, overtime hours, and total hours. There is no section to calculate pay but there is a signature section.
This yearly template can track regular hours, overtime hours and total hours over an entire year.
If you have multiple employees, then keep a sheet for each employee or use a template for multiple employees.
Fields: Employees name or ID, days of the week, total hours, regular hours, rate per hour, overtime, rate per hour and pay.
Time Sheets with Times Clocked In
Project Based Time Cards
What is a timesheet?
A timesheet is basically an hours tracker and tracks how much time a worker spent on each job or at work each day. A time sheet can be used by an employer to count the number of hours a worker worked to calculate payroll. It can also be used for billing or project management to track how much time was spent on each customer. This is important if customers are charged according to the time spent on their project. You will need to know how much time was spent to know how much to charge them. You often need this when preparing an invoice for customers.
Timesheets are also useful to track the time spent on each project when calculating costs. You will need to know how much something costs in order to know if it was profitable or not. If you pay overtime, then you will want to distinguish between regular hours and overtime hours. Many of our templates make this distinction.
A free timesheet template is very useful for small businesses that don’t have the time to create tools from scratch. We strive to provide free printable tools for small businesses to make life easier.
What are the advantages of timesheets?
- In order to reduce costs, you need to know how much everything costs. That includes how much time was spent on each project. If a project has various stages, then you might want to keep a separate time sheet for each stage. This will help you detect areas that need improvement.
- When employees keep a timesheet then it is easier to charge customers for time spent on their project. You don’t need to try and think about how much time was spent once the project is complete. All the information is available and all you need to do is to move it to the invoice.
- Payroll is more efficient when you know how much each employee worked.
- You can use old timesheets to predict future expenses for new projects. This helps when you need to budget a new project.
- A timesheet Excel format with built-in calculations saves time by calculating totals without you having to do it. Select an Excel timesheet template if you want calculations to be performed for you.
- When employees don’t have a timesheet they might be worried that they will forget what time they started working each day or when they started working on a new project. These thoughts may be at the back of their mind but they will prevent them from concentrating and focusing. Getting thoughts off your mind and on to a chart will free your mind to focus on the task on hand.
How to Use a Time Sheet
Customize the time sheet with your company’s details. Select a version with a logo if you want to add one.
Ask your employees to fill out the timesheet every day. If you take time off for a lunch break or other breaks then select a version with a clock in time. There is a version for one or two breaks.
How to Add a Logo
If you have a company logo then you can add your logo to the template. Select the Word or Excel version. Then go to insert and select “pictures”. Select “this device”. Click on the file with your logo from your device. Drag the logo to wherever you want it to appear. If it does not move, then right-click on your mouse and select “Wrap Text”. Then select “In front of text”. You can now freely drag the logo wherever you want it to appear.
How to create a timesheet in Excel
Since our timesheets are available in Excel you don’t need to know how to make a timesheet in Excel. You can simply download a timesheet spreadsheet from this site and use it as is or adapt it to your needs.
- Check all the timesheet templates available on this site and select the one that best meets your needs.
- Download the Excel version.
- Open the spreadsheet and make any changes that you need to make.
It is much easier to adapt a template than to start from scratch. Hopefully, you will find one that is perfect for you as is and you don’t even need to make any changes.
Once you add an Excel timesheet formula then you can easily create a timesheet calculator since the Excel spreadsheet automatically calculates the total hours, regular hours, and overtime hours. You or the employee enter the time in and the time out and the other calculations are done automatically.
How to make an online timesheet
We offer a large selection of free online timesheets for employees. To use them online, download any of the templates and open it with Google sheets. You can also download it as a Word document and open it with Google docs.
- To create an online timesheet, save the document on Google Drive, DropBox, or another similar network.
- Share the document with your employees via Google sheets or Google docs.
- Ask your employees to update their work hours each time they work.
Is timesheet one word?
Many people wonder is it timesheet or time sheet? According to the Cambridge dictionary, it can be one word or two.